surprise underwear on my pathology rotation:

As it turns out, surgical residents need to do a pathology rotation during their residency. The third year large animal surgery resident did his pathology rotation when I did mine, which was pretty awesome.

This resident - the good Dr. Marvelous - is a proper Southern gentleman. He never uses profane language, he always holds the door for women, and he gets teased mercilessly for his 'benevolent sexism' by the chiefs of service.

Now, Dr. Marvelous got along well with us hooligans, despite our rowdy behavior and tendency to say things like "fuck" and "cocksucker" from time to time. He maintained a cool demeanor throughout the rotation, with one notable exception:

It was an average Wednesday. I ran into my friend Colleen on the way to pathology, and she told me that she'd left a gift for me in my mailbox. I stopped by and picked it up as I walked to the conference room where we met each morning for necropsy readouts.  It was wrapped in shiny silver paper.

I opened the door to the aforementioned conference room, and took a seat at the table opposite a glass wall facing the diagnostic lab foyer. My rotation-mates were mostly already there, including Dr. Marvelous. As we waited for our pathology chief of service - Dr. O'Flanagan, a crotchety fellow with a keen eye for detail and a wickedly dark sense of humor - I remembered Colleen's present in my bag.

I pulled it out and unwrapped it to reveal a pair of Consent underwear!

source: tumblr

Sidenote! Here you can read more about how and why my pair of Consent underwear came to be in my hands (besides that Colleen made them).

I held them up and said, "Hey, sweet!"

Dr. Marvelous glanced up, screamed, and involuntarily recoiled from the table. When he regained his composure, his ears were a deep crimson color.

While holding my prize aloft, I looked through the glass wall into the foyer...to see Dr. O'Flanagan bearing down on the conference room. I quickly buried the underwear in my lap.

All in all, it was an excellent start to the day. Nothing like a little consent to liven up pathology!