furrrrrniture:

My new state is a reasonable driving distance (a little over six hours) from the University of Awesome. So! Moving was simpler than it might have been otherwise. All of the stuff in my apartment fit into the back of a pickup truck and a car, even with the front seat reserved for a certain someone:

ALWAYS WATCHING
My cat is awesome, btw. I met her in a palpation lab at the vet school during my first year, and at the time she was as fat as a house. She weighed approximately twice what her trim body weight should be. She sat fatly in her metal cage sternly regarding the world around her. I scooped her up in my arms (my lab partner said, "Lift with your legs!") and I instantly loved her.

She has since lost a significant amount of poundage, and enjoys snarfing every morsel of food she can find. We share the same name (I did not name her, she came with it), so for a time the two technicians in charge of the labs called us "Alacrity" and "Fat Alacrity". As in,

"Hey Alacrity! How's Fat Alacrity doing?"

She is also an excellent traveler, and always very polite. Sometimes she bites.

Anyway!

This was supposed to be a post about furniture.

I didn't have all that much furniture in my last apartment, but in the spirit of minimalism and having fewer heavy things to carry whilst moving, I winnowed said furniture down to the following:

1. Futon and frame
2. Nightstand
3. Coffee table
4. Two folding shelves
5. Meditation bench
6. Two stools
7. Freestanding kitchen butcher-block structure
8. Fish tank stand
9. Three disassemble-able small shelves for shoes, etc.
10. Sturdy plastic storage container with drawers

Also (not furniture exactly but heavy, big, and/or fragile:

1. Full-length mirror
2. Two small lamps
3. One tall lamp
4. Toaster oven

Here are some things I learned about moving a) furniture, and b) things that are heavy, big, and/or fragile:

1. Take the lightbulbs out of your lamps.
2. Get a box designed to move art for your big mirror (or your art also), or really extensively/absurdly wrap the mirror in soft, comfy blankets.
3. TAKE PICTURES OF HOW THINGS GO TOGETHER BEFORE YOU TAKE THEM APART.
4. Put all the screws and washers in a bag together for each piece of furniture and label them.
5. Do not let cords dangle and trip you while you are carrying a corded appliance.
6. If you are moving something with drawers without emptying said drawers, tape the drawers shut.

Happy packing! Hopefully you will lose your screwdriver, hammer and scissors fewer times than I did.