mental blocks:

Okay, so you know how there are some things that you should be able to remember, but for whatever reason you always forget/are bad at them? Yup, you know. Here are (some of) mine:

1) Neurolocalization/most of neurology, actually.

Sometimes I try to chalk this up to never having a neuro rotation in vet school, but that's not it. I mean, I can generally sort out "brain problem" from "neck dog" from "back dog" from "lower lumbar dog", but most of the time the rounds-pimping by the neurologist goes like this:

Neurologist: "Okay, so what else could cause [these signs]?"

(silence)

(neurologist kicks me under the table)

Alacrity: "Neoplasia."

Neurologist: "Yes. What else?"

(silence)

Alacrity: "Inflammatory disease."

Neurologist: "EEEHHHH wrong. What else?"

Haaaa fun times! Also, if we're in vestibular-land, I have a bugger of a time sorting out central vestibular (unless the dog has other central signs) from peripheral vestibular (unless the dog has gross ears) +/- paradoxical vestibular (what even is this really).

2) Acid/base.

THIS SUCKS. You know, I've read my vet school acid-base notes an embarrassingly large number of times (and worked through this handy acid/base practice simulator developed by the University of Awesome's engineer-turned-criticalist) and I still internally panic every time I go to read a blood gas.

3) Reading thoracic x-rays.

I'm starting to get better at this one. Dr. Nell (radiologist) has taught the intern herd some quick tricks to help get through the overnights, and I'm hopeful that (with practice and epic mistakes along the way) I'm improving.

I secretly want to be better at this, not only because it's an important workplace skill but also because queers are supposed to be good pattern-recognizers. Think about it! If your dating life depends on good pattern-recognition skills (read: gaydar), you'll get good at it. And radiology is exactly that.