Paleo challenge day 1!

In the spirit of the first day of my first Paleo challenge, I'm going to give you a step-by-step guide to making a greenie (green smoothie).

1. Find and assemble blender.

2. Add two large handfuls of mixed greens. You know the kind you can get in large clear plastic tubs for like $5? I use those. The container says that they are "triple washed and ready for enjoyment", so sometimes (okay, often) I don't wash them first. This is not smart, especially considering the knowledge I now have on topics like parasitology and food-borne disease. So I am being a responsible adult by telling you to WASH YOUR DAMN GREENS.

3. Add two cups of water.

4. BLEND!

5. Add two peeled bananas. I like semiripe bananas that are still kind of sort of green, but this is because I have an irrational dislike of overripe bananas. Ick.

6. BLEND!

7. Cut the sides off of an apple so just the core is left. Add the sides. Compost the core. I use Gala apples, but whatever will work.

8. BLEND!

9. Find a tiny coffee grinder (it's best if this is a dedicated tiny coffee grinder) and grind some hemp seeds/flax seeds/sesame seeds/all of the above until powdery.  Add this to the blender. You can probably get these seeds at your local co-op! The sesame seeds add excellent texture, and the hemp seeds have a tasty nutty flavor (but wow will they get stuck in your teeth).

10. BLEND!

11. Add a tablespoon-ish of coconut oil. Ohhhh do not skip this step it will make your greenie velvety and silky and perfect. I don't even like coconut flavor that much.  Mmmmmmmmmmm yes.

12. BLEND!  and enjoy.

The greenie will be bright green, smooth, thick and delicious.  Just go for it - don't be dainty. Do not wuss out. I know it looks vaguely like rumen contents, but it tastes amaaaaaaazing!  If you want it to be sweeter, use riper bananas. That is all.