my first paleo challenge:

Hi everyone!

So the Crossfit box I've been frequenting over the past several months is starting a paleo challenge on the first of February, and (possibly against my better judgement) I've decided to participate.

What is a paleo challenge? It's a group...pledge? undertaking? goal? of sorts, where the objective is to eat as "paleo" as possible for a period of time. This particular challenge is a month long, lasting until the first of March.

Paleo is a somewhat funny way of eating with a lot of rules. More specifically, it aims to get you to eat in a way that is similar to our hunter/gatherer ancestors: eat lots of meat, fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and some oils. Also, eat no sugar, grains, legumes, dairy, alcohol, processed foods, Nutella, cheese popcorn, et cetera.

I'm a little bit nervous for a couple of reasons:

1. My favorite snack to stress-eat when clinics get particularly insane is a giant bag of Pirates' Booty (a puffed cheese snack) and a giant handful of these fruit-juice jellybeans sold by the food cooperative near my apartment.

2. I'm a non-negotiable vegetarian, so my version of paleo is going to be...less varied than average.  Hooray for fruits and veggies!

I've been doing some research on the best ways to have a veggie paleo adventure, and so far this post has been the most helpful/awesome resource I've found. Apparently, there are lots of things a vegetarian paleo person can eat! 

I'll let you know how it goes.